Thursday, January 12, 2012

Making Up

With the start of a new year, I decided to stick to my new year's resolutions and take a class. Specifically, I took a make-up class at Redred Photo Studio.

They are located in Pioneer Square and have a lovely studio. Nikki taught the class and she was excellent.

The class went over make-up basics, sanitation/hygiene, kit building and application techniques. There were five people in the class, including me. It was really fun, informational and it was great to do something that I love. And I do love make-up.

I liked that Nikki was very laid back and approachable. I didn't feel out of my element and she didn't make anyone feel like they shouldn't be there. There was one student that was a guy and he didn't know anything about make-up (he was a photographer and just wanted some basic make-up info so he could choose a good make-up artist for his shoots), but she helped him out and didn't talk down to him.

Nikki went over all the items in her make-up kit. I am a total brush nerd, so I was geeking out over all her MAC brushes. I have all the ones she mentioned, except MAC 184 Duo Fibre Fan Brush, which apparently is a pro brush only, according to this site. I couldn't find it on the regular MAC site. (But, not to worry, because I signed up for a MAC Pro membership.)

After going over her kit, Nikki did a make-up application on a model. It was so fun to see each step and pick up some tips along the way. We all had an opportunity to ask questions and listen to her talk through was she was doing and why. The finished look was flawless.

After this class, I feel like I have a good knowledge base to move forward. I do need practice at putting make-up on others, and my goal is to improve...so, I am going to sign up for some of the make-up labs that Redred offers.

I better sign up now while I have this momentum going!

No comments: