Friday, September 21, 2012

Walla Walla

Aaron and I went to Walla Walla for our anniversary at the beginning of September. It was pretty cool! We stayed at the Marcus Whitman hotel, which I liked quite a bit. They include breakfast and that's always a plus for us.

Walla Walla is all about the wine tasting, so did our fair share of sampling. The first place we visited was the Seven Hills tasting room. It is about a half a block from the Marcus Whitman hotel, so that is rather convenient.

We tried a few different wines and I fell in love with their Voignier. So I bought a bottle for my Mom.

After Seven Hills, we made our way to the Charles Smith tasting room.

It was very modern and industrial. There were exposed beams and ducting on the ceiling.


I loved it! We tried about six of their wines.


I liked the Kung Fu Girl Riesling and the Boom Boom! I bought a bottle of the Kung Fu Girl. It tasted good, but it also had an especially cool label. I'm a sucker for presentation and packaging.

Amid all the imbibing, Aaron wanted to work in a visit to a record store. So we visited Hot Poop.

It was cray cray, as the kids say. There was stuff everywhere - vinyl, CDs, 8-tracks, t-shirts, instruments, and posters. Nutty.

Aaron bought a record and a t-shirt at Hot Poop. I wandered around and tried entertain myself without seeming too impatient, while snickering about the name Hot Poop.


The next day, we visited four wineries. We arranged to be driven to the wineries by Bella Fortuna Events and Tours. Stephanie was our driver and she was amazing! She had a great knowledge of wine making and answered all my questions. She was very easy to talk with, but once we got to the wineries, she gave us our space and we got to take our time with trying all the wines.

We went to Longshadows, which had a minimalistic aesthetic to their tasting room decor.


We did our tasting inside the building, but there was a lovely outdoor seating area, as well. And we had gorgeous weather!


I felt like we got a lot of individual attention here and they had a really cool Chihuly piece in the tasting room.

Aaron bought a bottle of the Pirouette wine at Longshadows.

We also went to L'Ecole 41.

We tried a nice variety of whites and reds. Then we toasted to our six-year wedding anniversary. Awww. I know, right?


After our tasting, I decided that I loved their Semillon and Estate Luminesce, so I bought a bottle of each.

Then we went to Amavi. The view from Amavi was gorgeous!


We were also able to see their actual vineyard, which was beautiful.


I tried a grape right off the vine and it was sweet and delicious. We didn't buy any wine at Amavi. We were getting kind of overwhelmed with wine option by then. (Read:  We were kind of tipsy, in all honesty.)

And lastly, we went to Water's. Aaron bought a bottle of Interlude, which is a Bordeaux-style blend. The only picture we took at Water's was of me and it was bad, so it is not approved for posting here.


Overall, the trip to Walla Walla was really fun! But there are a ton of wineries/tasting rooms that we didn't have time to visit. So maybe we'll be back next summer!

No comments: