Friday, September 14, 2012

Non-dairy Sweets


In addition to loving dairy, I love dessert. So just leaving behind dairy based desserts is not an option for me. I’ve never been a pint of Ben and Jerry’s kind of girl, but I do have a huge weakness for ice cream bars and ice cream sandwiches.

I started at Safeway with So Delicious Minis Coconut Almond Bars. The ice cream is velvety and smooth and has a hint of a coconut flavor and the nuts are yummy. The chocolate is not as good as the chocolate on a Magnum ice cream bar because it is not as rich and it has kind of a carob flavor. It’s a minor quibble, though. These are smaller than a Magnum ice cream bar, but they don’t leave you longing for more. The coconut ice cream, chocolate, and nut triumvirate is very satisfying. Overall, these are definitely so delicious and I would most certainly buy them again.

I thought I’d sample some almond milk ice cream, so I got some So Delicious Almond Milk Minis Vanilla Sandwiches. They carry these at Safeway. I like them quite a lot. The almond milk ice cream in the sandwiches is just like regular ice cream. I would not have known these were non-dairy if I had not seen the box. The sandwich part was good, but it stuck to my fingers. Not a big deal and I have most certainly had that issue with some traditional ice cream sandwiches. These live up to their “mini” name and are very small, so perfect for when you just want a little sweet treat. I would buy these again, but will probably try some of the almond milk ice cream bars first.

I bought a box of Luna and Larry’s Organic Coconut Bliss Dark Chocolate Bars at Whole Foods.


I thought they looked like fudge bars, which I have always liked. Oh. My. God. These are amahzing! They are better than ice milk fudge bars – so much better. The coconut milk lends a rich and creamy mouthfeel. The flavor is chocolately and smooth and I absolutely love them. I would recommend them to someone that’s not trying to limit dairy. They are decadent. I can’t wait to try the Naked Coconut Bliss bars

Not a fan of ice cream? Never fear, because you can have macaroons. Check out these Hail Merry macaroons.


The Hail Merry macaroons do not have condensed milk in them, like regular macaroons. (They also don't contain egg whites, which I am not so concerned about.) I got the Raw Blonde kind, which taste like sweet coconut. They also have a chocolate variety called Choco Macaroons. I have not tried the choco ones yet, but I plan to pick some up in the future. They guy that checked us out at Whole Foods said the blonde kind are better. I agree that they are delightful. In fact, they are so incredibly freakin' good that I could eat way more than the serving size of two cookies.  Mmmm, coconut, you are my new best friend.

So, as you can see, I'm pretty set in the non-dairy dessert department. I am currently out of all my desserts, though, so I think it's time for some grocery shopping!

No comments: