Monday, June 18, 2012

MAC Mineralize Foundation - Loose


Since I got my MAC Pro account, I have gone a little hog wild with buying new make-up. I save 30%, so it’s hard not to feel like it’s all on sale every day! I’ve taken full advantage by getting a ton of new stuff. Lately, I’ve been researching foundation. I like natural looking foundation that gives good coverage, but doesn’t look too cakey. 

Nikki, the instructor from the make-up class at Redred studio, recommended the MAC Mineralize Foundation in the loose version. Excited to try it, I went to the MAC Pro store in U. Village. I got a sample in Light, but felt it was a bit dark on me. My skin is very fair, so I went back and got Extra Light, which was a perfect color match. 

 
The packaging of the Mineralize Foundation is like a loose powder container. The lid screws off and reveals a sifter. The loose foundation lies under the sifter. I have read complaints that the powder comes out of the sifter during travel, but I’m used to that with loose powder, so I don’t care. As long as the cap is on, the product will be contained, and then you just have to be careful when you open it. At home, I just make sure I put it away right side up and it’s no problem. 

 
The texture of the foundation is very fine. You just shake out a bit into the cap and then apply with a brush. I am using a Jane Iredale powder brush to apply it. The brush is rounded, so it gives a sheer coverage.


 (If I wanted more coverage, I would use a flat topped or kabuki brush.) I buff it on, careful not to be too aggressive. If I get carried away with buffing, I can stir up little flakes on my skin. (An occupational hazard when using Retin-A.) 

The finish is described as being “natural to satin-finish” on the MAC website. I think it looks fairly matte, unlike Bare Minerals Original, which has mica in it and appears shiny on my skin. Even though the Mineralize foundation is pretty matte, it does appear a bit too dewy in my t-zone. So I finish with some Clinique  Blended Loose Powder in the “Invisible Blend” color, which is translucent. I am quite sensitive about looking oily, so someone with a drier skin type could get away with skipping the loose powder step. 

Sometimes, I use a Jane Iredale sponge to blend the foundation and loose powder into my t-zone. This helps to minimize the appearance of pores and make it look more like I am not wearing any make-up. 

Even though the website says that it provides “medium buildable” coverage, I find it to be on the sheer side (even after experimenting with different brushes). If you had a lot of acne, scars, redness or pigmentation to cover up, I don’t think this would be a good option. For me, it’s great foundation to use when my skin is behaving and I just want to even out my skin tone and have a glowing finish.

I would recommend the MAC Mineralize foundation in loose for someone with pretty good skin that just wants something that will help give the skin a more finished appearance. It would also be great for someone with sensitive skin or someone that doesn’t like heavy make-up and wants more of a “no make-up” look. 

Overall, I have been happy with the Mineralize Foundation. I haven’t had any problems with breakouts or any type of irritation. It also has no scent, which is good. It’s easy to use and you don’t need much, so I think the container will last quite a while. It retails for $30, but I get it for $21 with my discount. I’d buy it again!

UPDATE:  I am so very sad to report that the MAC Mineralize Loose Foundation has caused me to break out. I haven't been doing anything else differently, so I am confident that is the cause. I have congestion/small breakouts on my forehead, which is uncommon for me. (I usually break out on my chin.) When I bought it, I assumed that it would be oil free, since it is a mineral make-up. I was wrong. It has wheat germ oil in it, which is very comedogenic. So, ah, I guess that's what happens when you assume. I feel like an ass for sure. A congested/broken out ass! So, needless to say, I will not be repurchasing! I guess my Mom will be getting more foundation!


No comments: