Wednesday, April 24, 2013

I'm at a Payphone

I'm always lusting after the design pics in Sunset magazine. They've usually taken something that you wouldn't find in a house, and put it in the house, but in a way that makes it look cool. However, it's a fine line between taking a lawn chair and using it an an accent chair in your living room and buying a wheel barrow and plunking it in your living room. Although, I wouldn't put it past them to put a wheel barrow in the house and make it look somehow "re-purposed" instead of misplaced.

At any rate, I've been on the hunt for something unorthodox to put in our living room/dining room area. I go thrifting at the Goodwill on a fairly regular basis, but I haven't seen anything great there as of late. Aaron and I have also gone to a few antique stores up on Phinney Ridge, but we just weren't in the buying mood.

Cut to the Easy Street Records auction on Queen Anne. Aaron is a regular customer at Easy Street and was sad to see the Queen Anne location close down. But, given that they were auctioning off a bunch of stuff and will still have the West Seattle store, we wanted to support them. I also thought it might be an opportunity to get something that was cool, but also had meaning.

So, we got a payphone!


Well, it was just the box part of the phone. It had been used as a listening station at Easy Street, so it didn't have the phone part. We thought it was pretty cool, though. We bid on it and won! Then we had to figure out how to get it in the Mini. I was not sure it would fit, but it did.

We lugged it home and it rested behind Monkey's litter box for a few months.

Not wanting to feel like hoarders, we needed to figure out what to do with it. We decided to use it as a real phone. So, Aaron bought a pay phone on eBay, bought a pedestal online for support and got some big ass screws to go into the studs.

And, voila!


I'm so happy with how it turned out!


We got a landline and everything, so we can make and receive calls on it. The only problem is that every time I look at it, I think of the payphone song by Maroon 5, which is not nearly as cool as Blondie's "Hangin' on the Telephone". I guess "Call Me", would also be appropriate, but the only call we've received so far was from a telemarketer from Allstate insurance! So, I'll give you my number and you can call me, maybe? (I'm going to stop now...but I might go make a phone related playlist...)



No comments: