Thursday, August 16, 2012

MAC Lipstick


The first time I tried MAC lipstick was on a trip to Vancouver, BC with some girlfriends. I had never tried their make-up before, but was smitten as soon as we walked into the pro store on Robson Street. I bought a frosty rust color called "Fetish" that I absolutely loved. My hair was red then and it worked really well.

Since that first visit, I have bought tube after tube of their lipstick and I never leave the house without a MAC lipstick in my purse. I have taken full advantage of their recycling program where you bring in six used tubes to get a new free lipstick. I’ve stuck with them when my hair changed from red to blonde, blonde to brown, back to blonde and I plan to stay true to MAC when I go back to brown next week.

Here's a shot of some of my collection. From left to right is Speak Louder, Lustering, See Sheer, O and Sophisto.


Two of my all-time favorite colors are “O” and “Sophisto”. “O” is a frost and “Sophisto” is a lustre. I find that they work with many different hair colors and even different skin tones. “O” is a deep bronze-y berry with copper flecks and it has great color pay-off. “Sophisto” is a pinky berry that is much sheerer. I apply both without a mirror with no problems. They wear off evenly and also work well with gloss over them, if I want more shine.

A couple colors that I have tried more recently are “Lustering” and “Speak Louder”. They are both hot pink, but “Lustering” (pictured below) is a lustre and so is more wearable and very sheer. 


You can tell Lustering is hot pink, but it looks fun and not clownish. It goes nicely with “Strawberry Margarita” nail polish by OPI. “Speak Louder”, on the other hand, is definitely louder. It’s a cremesheen and is opaque, but still somehow very wearable. For a bit of shine, Sephora’s Pin-Up Pink Shiny gloss layers well over both of these. “Lustering” is more daytime and “Speak Louder” might be more for evening. Although, I have worn both day and night, so it really matters more how I’m feeling and what else I’m wearing.
                                          
I have been experimenting with corals lately and so I got “Costa Chic” and “See Sheer”. “Costa Chic” is a frost and is very, very coral. I really don’t like to wear it by itself because I feel like it veers into “old lady” coral territory. However, when I put it on lightly and then layer on gloss over the top, I get a more modern look. I have some neutral Stila glosses (like Kitten and Creme Bouquet) that pair nicely with “Costa Chic”. “See Sheer” is a lustre and is nice and sheer, as the name indicates. If you swipe on one layer, you get a nice color that is kind of a pinky coral. If you put it on with a heavy hand, you get more of a coral color, that I’m not crazy about. Less is more with “See Sheer”.

“Lustering”, “Speak Louder” and “See Sheer” all wear off evening and I can apply them all without a mirror, except “Speak Louder”. It’s still easy to put on without too much care, but I do need to look to make sure I stay in the lip line. I haven't worn "Costa Chic" enough to comment on staying power and I haven't tried to apply it away from home without a mirror.

The reds of MAC are the ones that I have a love/hate relationship with. They look fabulous (who doesn’t love a red lip?), but they are rather high maintenance. I have “MAC Red” (a satin), New York Apple (frost),  and Dubonnet (amplified crème). I tried “Ruby Woo”, but it was just too dry. I am thinking of getting “Russian Red” at some point. Anyway, “MAC Red” looks like a true red in the tube, but reads more magenta when it is applied. “Dubonnet” is more of a brick red and goes on very nicely and looks lovely with “Oh, Baby” lipglass over the top. “New York Apple” is actually more of a berry, but I like to mix it with the reds. Of the three, “Dubonnet” is my favorite, but “New York Apple” is the easiest to apply. “Dubonnet” and “MAC Red” are both a pain in the ass to apply and maintain. They don’t wear off evenly and I absolutely need a mirror to apply them. They are special occasion lipsticks.

The one MAC lipstick that I haven’t been all that impressed with is Viva Glam V. It’s a lustre and is brownish pink with some shimmer. It’s easy to wear and wears evenly and looks ok, but I just feel like it’s boring. It reminds me of “Bamboo Pink” by Clinique and I have a million of those from GWP’s. It’s a good daytime/office lipstick, but I like “Sophisto” better for that. Viva Glam V is not horrible, it just doesn’t wow me like the rest of MAC’s lipsticks.

A color I used to buy a color called “Smoove”, which was sort of like “O” without the copper shimmer and had more of a plum hue. “Smoove” was very dry and it doesn't appear that they make it anymore, but I found the name amusing. Another color that I tried quite a while ago was a frosty lilac, but I just can't remember the name (I have searched high and low for the name and it's not Lavender Whip or Pervette - it's driving me crazy!). It was fun when my hair was platinum blonde and in a short pixie cut and I was 25 years old, but I don’t think it would work on me now.

Overall, I think MAC has a wonderful selection of colors and finishes. They have crazy colors, everyday colors, colors that I liked when I was younger, colors that I wear now and colors that my Mom can wear. There are so many colors to choose from that I don’t think I’ll ever own them all (but you never know!).

I get to use my discount with MAC, which makes their lipstick a steal. But since they retail at $15 a tube, they are still very affordable. Just thinking about it makes me want to go buy a few tubes right now!

No comments: